Wednesday 11 January 2023

WISHES AND REGRETS, IT'S TIME, WOULD RATHER (revision)

 


WISH + SIMPLE PAST

It is used when the speaker wants reality to be different.

I wish I lived here .

I wish I went to London next summer.


WISH + WOULD

It is used to refer to general wishes for the future about others.

I wish the weather would change.

I wish my brother would come.


WISH + PAST PERFECT

It is used to express regret about past actions.

I wish I had studied harder to pass the exam.

He wishes he had learnt French to go to France.


IF ONLY

It is used with the same verbs as wish but we express stronger feelings.

If only I could visit my mother.

If only I had never left my house! If only he would call!



IT´S TIME+ S. PAST

It is used to talk about present/past but to express that the action should have been done before.

It´s time you went to bed, you have an exam tomorrow.

It´s time we went to the train station, it´s very late!



WOULD RATHER + S. PAST

It´s used to express preferences for the pres/future.

I´d rather you didn´t leave London.

I´d rather she didn´t drive tonight.



WOULD RATHER + PAST PERFECT

It is used to say what we wanted to happen in the past.

I´d rather you hadn´t left home, I miss you.

They´d rather you had studied.



WOULD RATHER + VERB

It is used to express our own preferences about ourselves.

I´d rather go to the cinema.

She´d rather eat a burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment